Let’s start by looking at the pictures I’ve included. You’ll notice that the paint on the hood is different from the paint on the cowl. Believe it or not, both paints are ACE Hardware Premium Enamel Khaki Gloss paint, UPC code 82901 03526. I have a 66 Pontiac Tempest and I am a disabled Paramedic so I cannot afford to have the car professionally painted. I’ve seen videos on Youtube where people paint their cars with spray paint and I thought since I am physically limited maybe I could paint each panel a little bit at a time and over a years time by working at my leisure I would have the whole car done. It’s been over eight months now and I’ve been able to do about seven panels even though they still need another couple of coats of paint and more sanding. I have easily been through seven cans of Khaki paint and gobs of sand paper and tape.

So the other day I started to apply like my fifth coat of paint to the hood and noticed the paint seemed to be different. I thought maybe it was the lighting because it was the evening, but when I took off all the tape and paper it turns out it’s a completely different color.

Without any warning notice on the can, ACE changed the color of their paint but still referred to it as the same color. I went to the ACE store and they looked at both cans and said basically, yep they changed the color. Now you’ll have to get all new paint and repaint all those other panels again. That sucks for you!

I email their “complaint department” which says they will reply in 48 hours, which is crap by the way, and then I call the corporate office. I explain the situation to them and in the end they tell me they will send me a gift card for $5. Five freakin dollars! To repaint all those panels all over again, not to mention the additional labor involved, more tape, and more sandpaper. So then they upped the ante to $15.

I guess I will continue painting the unpainted panels with the different color and when I go to the car shows I will erect a big sign explaining how ACE Hardware screwed me over but did offer me $15 to try to make things right.

Review about: Ace Hardware Paint.

Preferred solution: I would like to be paid to repaint all the panels that no longer match, masking tape, and sandpaper to reprep the painted panels..

I didn't like: Company changes paint colors without informing the customer.

Comments